S. DiPaula & Sons Seafood, Inc. was established as a sole proprietorship in 1897 by Salvatore DiPaula. The original location at 421-23 E. Lexington Street was a restaurant which fed many of the firemen during the great Baltimore fire of 1904.
In 1917, the business moved to 505 Forrest Street and became a wholesale and retail dealer throughout central Maryland. While at the location the business went through three changes of business organization. It became a partnership managed by George and Andrew DiPaula, sons of the founder. Next, the company went back to a sole proprietorship after George’s death. Then in late December 1964 after the death of Andrew Jackson DiPaula, his only child Rosemary DiPaula Schisler and her husband Thomas Edward Schisler, Sr. inherited the business.
In the fall of 1972, the company moved to its third and current location, 7613 Philadelphia Road in Rosedale, Maryland. The company added a produce line to compliment its seafood line in 1979. In 1987, the business changed its organization into a corporatism and changed its name to S. DiPaula & Sons Seafood, Inc., Wholesale and Retail Seafood and Produce Distributors.